Where do you go for authentic Japanese food? Izakaya Sakura in Convoy, San Diego! If you are looking for a sign outside for the restaurant, forget it, they don’t even have a sign on the awning. It’s a word of mouth place. It’s literally located in between the Military Recruiting Center and a Hookah Lounge (I think its called Mirage). It’s located in the parking lot of where the Original Pancake House is. WATCH OUT! Parking can be pretty terrible. They open for lunch at 11:30 A.M. If you are going for a quick lunch break, good luck. Timing is always important for going into this complex.
So what makes this place authentic? The servers are Japanese and the sushi chef is Japanese. It’s getting harder and harder to find Japanese sushi chefs. The food that comes out of here tastes just like something my Japanese Grandma or aunt would make. They have bento boxes, unagi (eel), sushi, real miso soup, tsukemono (pickled cabbage appetizer dish), curry rice etc….All the big hitter Japanese traditional dishes are here.
You’ll be greeted as you come in the door with an “irashaimase” which is another word for “welcome”.
Some tips that you will need to know before you go!
- If you are going solo, bring CASH. They need a minimum of $10.00 for a card. So if you are going with others, an ATM or Credit Card is not a problem.
- They DO NOT OFFER FREE REFILLS (Their iced green tea is not refillable, so drink sparingly)
- The place is not designed for ambience, it is designed to eat “good” Japanese food. There are a couple “tanuki” (raccoon dog) statues. Can’t remember if there is a maneki nekko (good luck fortune cat)
- Not 100% fast service (good food takes time) Not always consistent w/delivery of everyone’s dishes at the same time. Again, I don’t mind because I go there knowing this.
- Approved by my Japanese mom
- Go during lunch, because they have an extended menu. The lunch items DO NOT SHOW UP in the evening. The Evening is where the restaurant turns into a Japanese Pub (Izakaya) It’s all appetizer plates and sushi and the price goes WAY UP!
- Be ready for parking to be a possible problem
- Broiled Salmon 9.00 ♥
- Teriyaki Fish 8.50
- Grilled Mackerel 8.00
- Mackerel w/ Miso 8.00
- Grilled Saury 8.00
- Fried Fish w/ Mushroom Sauce 9.00
- Cooked Yellowtail w/ Daikon Radish 8.50
- Deep Fried Shrimp 9.00
- Deep Fried Oyster 8.50
< Beef & Pork Combo>
- Japanese Meatloaf w/ Ponzu Sauce 9.00 ♥
- Japanese Meatloaf w/ Tomato Sauce(w/Egg) 9.00
- Deep Fried Pork 9.00
- Deep Fried Meatloaf 8.50
- Ginger Pork 8.50 ♥
- Karaage 8.50 ♥
- Teriyaki Chicken 8.50
- Chicken Saute w/ Garlic Sauce 8.50
- Veg. Saute w/ Chicken Liver 8.50
- Steamed Chicken w/ Onions & Jalapeno 8.50
- Chicken Katsu 8.50 ♥
- Chicken Katsu Don (Chicken Cutlet Egg Bowl) ♥ 9.00
- Katsu Don (Pork Cutlet Egg Bowl) 9.00 ♥
- Sukiyaki Don w/ Egg 9.00
- Tempura Don (Shrimp, Vegetables & Egg) 9.50
- BBQ Eel Don 9.50 ♥
- Omelet & Chicken Ketchup Rice 9.00
- Omelet & Rice w/ Hashed Beef Sauce 9.00
- Omelet & Rice w/ Curry Sauce 10.00
- Hot/Cold Tempura Udon w/ a Rice Ball 8.50 ♥
- Hot/Cold Tempura Soba w/ a Rice Ball 8.50 ♥
- Nabeyaki Udon 9.00
- Curry Udon 8.50
- Chanpon 10.00
- Sara Udon 10.00
- Spaghetti w/ Sea Urchin 12.00
- Spaghetti w/ Salmon & Scallop 13.00
- Spaghetti w/ Clam & Mussel 13.00
- Yakisoba 7.00 ♥
- Cold Chinese Noodle (only summer) 8.50 ♥
- Sakuramen 8.50
- Curry & Rice 8.50 ♥
- Curry & Rice w/ Eggplant 9.00
- Curry & Rice w/ Deep Fried Chicken 9.50 ♥
- Curry & Rice w/ Deep Fried Pork 9.50 ♥
- Curry & Rice w/ Deep Fried Shrimp 10.00
- Mix Tempura 9.00 ♥
- Kimuchi Hot Pot 8.50
- Veg Saute w/ Pork 8.50
- Subula (Veg Saute & Pork Ball w/ Sweet Sour Sauce) 8.50
- Tuna Don 12.50
- Tuna, Natto & Green Onion Don 12.50
- Spicy Tuna Don 12.50
- Sea Urchin Don 18.00
- Chirashi Don 20.00 ♥
- Mix Sushi 20.00 ♥
- California Roll 6.00
- Spicy Tuna Roll 8.00
- Shrimp Tempura Roll 10.00
- Caterpillar Roll 10.00
- Alaska Roll 12.00
- Seared Albacore 8.00
- Spicy Fish Salad 8.50Chirashi Bowl
- Source: Alice Q. Foodie
- Karaage 3.50
- Stuffed Cabbage 4.00
- Gratine Croquette (2pc) 4.50 ♥
- Grilled Mackerel 3.50
- Cooked Mackerel w/ Miso 3.50
- Fried Spanish Mackerel 3.50
- Gyoza (5pc) 6.00 ♥
- Potato Salad 3.50 ♥
- Fried Tofu 3.50
- Cold Tofu 2.50 ♥
- Natto (Fermented Beans) 2.50
- Mekabu(Seaweed) & Natto w/ Yam 6.00
- Tonjiru (Pork& Veg. in Miso Soup) 6.00
“Alice Q. Foodie: A Sunday on Convoy with Candice, Kirk and Friends – Nijiya, Izakaya Sakura and Sage French Cake.” Alice Q. Foodie. Web. 22 Apr. 2012. <http://aliceqfoodie.blogspot.com/2008/03/sunday-on-convoy-nijiya-izakaya-sakura.html>.
Foodie, Alice Q. “My Chirashi Platter at Izakaya Sakura.” Flickr. Yahoo!, 02 Mar. 2008. Web. 22 Apr. 2012. <http://www.flickr.com/photos/42323675@N00/2306319079/>.
Izakaya Sakura. Digital image. Web. 22 Apr. 2012. <http://www.google.com/imgres?q=izakaya+sakura&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=639&tbm=isch&tbnid=Tt0rMkJ3c09V1M:&imgrefurl=http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/2006/05/5_days_of_feast.html&docid=16-Do8sQ55J5jM&imgurl=http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/images/sakura01_1.jpg&w=350&h=262&ei=82qUT6qtH6vYiQKrke3WDw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=345&sig=114642171631475443088&page=1&tbnh=134&tbnw=193&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:69&tx=103&ty=41>.
“Iyemon Cha.” Suntory. Web. 22 Apr. 2012. <http://www.suntory.com/iyemon_cha/index.html>.
Iyemon Green Tea. Digital image. Web. 22 Apr. 2012. <http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51b6-O%2B4Z7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg>.
“Izakaya Sakura Menu – San Diego, CA 92184.” Izakaya Sakura Menu. Web. 22 Apr. 2012. <http://izakayasakura.menutoeat.com/index.cfm>.
Izakaya Sakura. Digital image. Web. 22 Apr. 2012. <http://s3-media2.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/vda9FnOAELUIeESN1crK3g/l.jpg>.
Izakaya Sakura Parking Lot. Digital image. Web. 22 Apr. 2012. <http://media.photobucket.com/image/izakaya%20sakura%20parking/marleism/IMG_8780.jpg>.